Friday, January 9, 2015

The januaries

I have a case of the januaries. This is a made up condition in which I struggle in the month of January. I feel like December is such a joyful, exciting time and then January hits and all the beautiful decorations are down and it's just....January. I feel silly even posting this when so many people in the world have problems much bigger than the januaries, but wanted to share.

I thought I would defeat my case of the januaries when school started back and we had a routine. I had big plans to workout, organize, and so on. However, I spent the week with an awful kidney infection and on top if that we had 7 degree low temps here. It made my case of the januaries seem worse. I decided to spend a lot of time in prayer this week while I was down and it has opened my eyes.

I typically pray daily and throughout the day, but I spent time in deeper prayer. I was really specific with God and tried to show gratitude and give thanks. It is amazing what a stronger, deeper prayer life can do for your soul. It is also amazing when you slow down and look to see God's work, how many little and big things he is doing.

To cure my januaries I am living in prayer and trying to carry out my New Years resolution of trying to serve Jesus, others, and my family more. So far it has been amazing to see what a strong prayer life can really do. I am also praying bold prayers asking God what his will for me is and what he wants me to do. Sounds simple, but what if I am called to do something way out of my comfort zone? I just hope I can be trusting enough to do it. By serving others, I am not necessarily talking about big acts of service. I am trying to be a better friend to all, pray more for my peers, reach out to people more, and things of that nature. For my family, I am trying to do little things that make a big impact like fixing Kyle's favorite dinner or taking the boys to get ice cream on a whim. Little intentional things that make them feel loved. We also have more movie nights and quiet time at home together and are planning some fun future things. To serve Jesus I am simply trying to be more like him. It is such a challenge, but try is the key word.

I hope if you have a case of the januaries, you can find some peace in prayer too. It truly is an amazing thing to communicate deeply with God. Maybe next week, I we be in a better routine, but if not the januaries won't keep me down!

1 comment: