Sunday, November 2, 2014

Fanny Pack Fashions: Packing tips and tricks

Since we recently went on a trip and a lot of people travel during the holidays, I thought a post about packing could be helpful. I am absolutely not an expert, but try to be organized and know what works best with kids. My packing usually starts out like this before a trip:





And my unpacking ends like this after a trip:




Just keeping it real.


Tip #1 rolling suitcases: Invest in some large suitcases that roll on 4 wheels. Two large and one medium is the perfect formula for our family of 4 people. The four wheels make them so easy to get thru an airport. Especially with us because we take a double stroller. Now airlines charge for carry on bags, so we prefer to check bags.





Tip #2 personal bags: On airplanes you do get a personal bag (backpack, purse, etc.) so Kyle carried a backpack, I carried a large purse that zips to ensure nothing fell out, and we carried one backback for the boys.


The boys "personal" bag


Here is what we take in personal carry on bags:


-billfolds, money, IDs, tickets, any medications we would/could need throughout our trip, chapstick, phones, chargers, granola bars, a change of clothes for each person, laptop/ipad, magazines, gum and candy, Clorox wipes, hand wipes, a bottle of water I buy after security, and a jewelry case.


Tip #3 jewelry case: I carry a jewelry case because I think it is the safest way to go thru security with jewelry. Before I get out of the car, I put my jewelry up and then put it back on as soon as I am past security. It just makes me feel like I won't lose anything and am protecting my jewelry. I usually just take a few pieces that I wear the entire time so I don't have to risk anything being stolen out of my suitcase.





Tip #4 lists: I make a list of what all we will need in our carry on bags (listed above) and our large suitcases. I do my packing based on the lists. I also make a list that I stick to the door of things I need to remember to grab last minute such as my phone charger that I always use the night before we are leaving. On that list, I also remind myself to turn off the air/heat, set the alarm, etc.


Tip #5 laundry: After I have my list ready and before I start putting things in bags. I try to make sure all of our laundry is done and put in its place. It just makes packing easier. I also have my house picked up before I pack just to feel more organized. And I love to come home from a trip to a clean house.


Tip #6 bathroom bag: I have a bathroom bag that I keep packed year round with "doubles" of all of my bathroom supplies. The only exception to this is my hair dryer and flat iron because that would be a little pricey to keep two just for travel purposes. I also don't have doubles of my make up, but I keep my make up in a travel bag in a drawer for organization purposes, so I just grab it and go!  If you don't have to pack a bathroom bag each time it saves a lot of time and ensures you don't forget any supplies because they are ready to go!





Tip #7 weigh bags: Once I have everything in the bags from my list, I weigh each of them and make sure they are distributed properly. This saves a lot of time and money at the airport if they are all within weight.


Tip #8 return home: I try to be organized on the return trip home. I put all the dirty clothes in one suitcase, so when I walk in I can drop that bag in the laundry room and start a load immediately. I put bathroom bags and shoes in one bag, and fold and organize all of the clean clothes into our last bag. Unpacking is not fun, but this method makes it faster and easier.


Tip #9 snacks: If we are traveling by car, I always have a bag of drinks and snacks. That way we don't have to constantly stop for little things. And it prevents breakdowns in the car over thirst or hunger.


Tip #10 entertainment: I mentioned carrying and Ipad, magazines, and computer in our personal bags and I always have those for entertainment. If on an airplane, I don't hesitate to spend $3 to buy my kids a movie on the plane. In the car I take all of our DVDs and put them in a multi CD case and let them take turns picking a movie to watch. Busy and entertained kids make for a happy traveling experience.



And the biggest tip of all is for crying out loud while on any trip carry a fanny pack. Or a cross body bag. I carry a cross body bag to try to be a little trendy. It will keep your money, phone, and personal items safe and easy to access. I wore one all around Disneyland /LA (see in the picture) and it was wonderful. Any bigger items we needed we kept under the stroller. This has been a fanny pack mom public service announcement.



1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of a bathroom bag year-round! This way you don't forget anything!! And totally appreciated your public service announcement at the end!! :)

    ReplyDelete