Monday, November 24, 2014

The Business of Performing Miracles

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6


Philippians 4:6 is one of my favorite Bible verses. I think of it when I am worried and use it as a guide of how to pray. Yesterday was bittersweet. We had a wonderful church service with an unscripted moment. One of our deacons was about to lead the prayer, when he asked everyone to sit down because he needed to speak and it might take awhile. What followed was completely heartfelt and precious. He talked about Thanksgiving and what he was truly thankful for. He seemed nervous and emotional as he spoke. I couldn't help but notice as he was nervous and would pause, he would twist his wedding band on his hand. He spoke about how thankful he was for our church, the people in it, and all of the people who serve our church as well as the people who served in the past. He is a sweet man who serves our church greatly himself. I remember him being one of the first people in the balcony to greet us as we were first attending our church. Over the years, we haven't seem him as much since his wife has been ill and they haven't been in the balcony. I teach Sunday School every other week and always notice how he brings his young grandchildren to church with him. In his prayer, he asked for us to continue to pray for his wife. It broke my heart. And then he said he was thankful that God was still in the business of performing miracles. I pray for a miracle for him and his family. I also pray that when Kyle and I are older we can be serving our church and impacting people.


Last night we were driving home and noticed what looked like a search crew.  I later found out a 2 year old boy had walked out of his home  and was missing. I kept praying for him to be found safely. As I prayed, I could hear the wind roaring and prayed that that baby was safe from the  elements.  That boy is still missing and our town is working overtime with volunteers to find him. I am also thankful that God is still in the business of performing miracles. And I  pray for a miracle  for this innocent child.


1 comment:

  1. I'm praying for the little boy missing and hope they find him soon. Praying for your pastor and his family as well.

    ReplyDelete