Tuesday, November 4, 2014

It's a Grand Ole Night

Today is election day in the United States. It is one of my very favorite days. It is so incredible that we live in a country that allows us to have free and fair elections. It is something that we should not take lightly. Many people have died for the freedom of our country and I am so thankful!


This morning I pulled up to my voting precinct. This is the same location my great-grandparents attended church. They worked hard for this church and were very involved. My great-grandfather was a veteran and served our country proudly. My great-grandmother was a homemaker and kept the most beautiful garden. I had been missing them this week as it was because every Halloween at their house we were given a dollar bill, a blow pop, homemade cookies, and other special treats. Our country is great because of people like them. He didn't hesitate to fight for our country and she didn't hesitate to support him in that decision. I thought of them as I was going to cast my vote. I thought of their morals and values that consisted of hard work and an unwavering faith in God. They believed in every person doing their part and their best. With their generation mostly gone, I feel a responsibility to represent the wonderful things that they did. Voting for what I believe in is part of that responsibility.


The DAY I turned 18 I registered to vote. I was so excited to finally be able to and knew it was my duty. My favorite class in high school was American Government. I loved every aspect of it and had a wonderful teacher who taught us about our government without partisan preference. When I was in college working on a Broadcast Journalism degree, I loved election night. It was so exciting to keep up with the local elections at our school studio and courthouse. And when I had the opportunity to work at a major news network in NYC during a huge election summer, I loved the atmosphere. I know some people are apathetic, but I just don't understand it. I love the ins and outs of elections.


As a mom, I think elections are more important than ever. These elections help shape our children's future. I want my kids to be well informed American's with a strong knowledge of American History and current events. That is what our children today need!


I try to keep my political opinions to myself in order not to offend anyone, but I have decided part of being true to myself is believing in my opinions enough to share them no matter what others think. With that being said, I do not have to bash the other side or make negative comments. Many of my friends and I have a difference in political opinion. I respect them, just as I know they respect with me.


With that being said...It is a GRAND OLE NIGHT in Arkansas and I am just thrilled. I am still a little nervous about a couple of races/initiatives, but so far it's a good night here. See you in 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment