Tuesday, October 21, 2014

AWANA



Every Wednesday night for the past two years, the kids and I have loaded up and headed to AWANA at church. I am the director for Sparks K-2nd grade. AND this year Kyle is working in T&T with 3rd and 4th graders. I cannot describe to you how funny it is for Kyle to be working at AWANA. He always comes home completely cracking up about events that go on at AWANA that night. Kids say crazy and hilarious things! Even their prayer requests (that we take seriously and pray for) can even make you giggle.




On a more serious note, he and I always talk about how impressed with are many of the kids who are truly learning and living the Bible. He has several boys in his group that he said are just good kids. It is so nice for us, as parents of young kids, to see an example of good parenting. That good parenting is evident in these kids striving to be strong Christian young men.




You may wonder why I only mentioned good boys. I mention boys because boys is all we know at our house. Raising good boys is the main goal in our house. I am a girly girl. I LOVE to hang out with the girls at AWANA. Tonight one of the girls said "Cute wedges!" In my house, no one but me knows what a wedge is or notices what shoes I wear. So I love the time I get with these sweet girls on Wednesday nights....even if they judge my sweatpants.




Back to Awana though....there is also a sad/difficult side to awana. This is a community outreach program. We have kids who have never been inside a church. Last year one of our kindergarten kids didn't know what the Bible was. To me this is so heartbreaking. And it makes me feel so much pressure to make an impact on them in 1.5 hours. Some of these kids live in our local Baptist children's home and are only attending awana for a few weeks until they are reunited with family. Some of them are invited by a friend from school and only come one time. All we can try to do is let them see God's love and salvation in a short period of time. And pray for these babies.




Last year, I had to miss a lot due to constant illness in my family. I was determined to make it back this year to help teach these babies though. It is our duty as Christians to share the word. And who better to minister to than God's little children. If you have an opportunity to be involved in a ministry like this I strongly encourage you to get involved. It is rewarding to me every week to see these little faces learning about Jesus. A lot of times the lesson I am teaching them speaks to me probably more than them. I will be the first to tell you I am no Biblical scholar and do not at all feel like a natural born teacher. All it takes is a desire to help and I promise God can help with the rest. If Fanny Pack Mom can help teach kids at church....ANYONE can!

2 comments:

  1. Love this, Audra. AWANA was always one of my most favorite things about church. I loved working in AWANA, and I loved my kids being in AWANA. Even tho I had been a Christian for many years before they started going, I found that I learned (or re-learned) Scripture verses right along with them. Can't say enough good things about this program. God bless you ALL for giving up 1.5 hours every week to invest in the lives of children. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it! And I love having every.single.family.member. There this year!

      Delete